At just over 100 acres, Cadwalader Park is the City of Trenton’s most significant and historically important open space. Designed in 1891 by Frederick Law Olmsted, it is the only public park in the State of New Jersey laid out by the father of Landscape Architecture.Learn More
Cadwalader Park History
At just over 100 acres, Cadwalader Park is the City of Trenton’s most significant and historically important open space. Designed in 1891 by Frederick Law Olmsted, it is the only public park in the State of New Jersey laid out by the father of Landscape Architecture. Though the park has suffered through several decades of funding cutbacks, it still retains many of the landscape and spatial qualities present in the original plan. A Master Plan to direct the restoration of the park was developed by a team of Landscape Architects, Engineers, Architects and Urban Foresters with significant input from City of Trenton staff. The plan proposes a broad, prioritized range of short and long term capital improvements, as well as management and programming recommendations.
Information obtained by TrentonNJ.org
The History of Ellarslie Mansion
Ellarslie, an Italianate villa, was built for Henry McCall Sr. of Philadelphia as a summer residence in 1848. The architect selected to design Ellarslie was John Notman, known for designing the first Italianate building in America in Burlington, NJ, and the first Renaissance Revival building, the Athenaeum in Philadelphia. Notman was locally recognized for also designing the 1845 expansion of the New Jersey State House and the design for the State Hospital, which was also begun in 1848.
In February 1881, Henry McCall Jr. sold Ellarslie to George Farlee for $25,000. Seven years later, in September of 1888, the city of Trenton acquired the property from Farlee for $50,000, which also included the surrounding 80 acres, which would become the city’s first public park, Cadwalader Park, designed by the father of landscape architecture, Frederick Law Olmsted.
The City of Trenton opened the first museum here in 1889, closing several years later. Ellarslie has been a restaurant, ice cream parlor and monkey house. The building itself has been home to several noted Trenton families over the years, and in 1971 Trenton City Council passed a resolution to create the Trenton City Museum.
The Trenton City Museum opened in 1978 in Ellarslie Mansion with an exhibition from our permanent collection of Trenton cultural history. Ellarslie Mansion is included in the National Registry of Historic Places.
Information obtained by The Trenton City Museum at Ellarslie website
The Trenton City Museum at Ellarslie Mansion houses a fine collection of art and artifacts related to Trenton's historical and cultural past and present.
Galleries on three floors display permanent and changing exhibits of art, decorative arts and historical artifacts, causing visitors to return again and again.Learn More